Monday, July 5, 2010

The Lions of Rwindi


     Got a chance to visit the Virunga National Park on the Congo Uganda border. Was hosted by some friends at a small place called Rwindi earlier famous for a lovely forest resort (now in ruins). Could not go empty handed. What better gift than a small watercolor of a Lion......Rwindi is famous for its ferocious lions. These lions are not used to humans like in many parks of the world. I think it was a good omen. We were rewarded by a nocturnal visit by four lionesses. We were surrounded by more than 300 shivering antelopes and the predators at some distance. It was so surprising, the normally shy antelopes, knew very well that as long as they stayed close to humans the lions will not dare attack...and they were correct. After a 45 minutes stand off the lionesses left. Survival of the smartest!!!

14 comments:

  1. AK,
    Brilliantly executed! Is that a tinge of oil paster in the background. The lion is merged with the background,yet stands out majestically!

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. Got a chance to be the first to leave my comments.
    anand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Rwindi just married , there was a fantastic place , canavayonga it is a beatifull city too , we go to visit virunga mountains , is the park still a reserve? sorry for my bad english!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully captured the majestic look of the Lion. Must have been a fantastic experience being so close to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congo must be a beautiful country when I hear people, who lived there, talk about it.
    Your country was often in the news last weeks, on the occasion of 50 years of independence.
    I know the Virunga Park from the work of Diane Fossey and the movie 'Gorilla's in the mist'.
    Is must be a fantastic experience to see all those wild animals in their natural surroundings.
    I guess your friends were happy with your watercolor. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel the aura/energy of this lion in those eyes and I love those brush strokes that got that dense mane! I would have gone for a green back ground, a nicer contrast to brown.
    One of my desires is to visit this part of the world in this life time, right now I have to be satisfied with the National Geographic channel:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it very much. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really very beautiful this lion! Well done Asit! Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  9. strength shows more in the looks, than actions. wonderful and very lively

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work Asit ! More wild animals ! Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. asit ... really like the mix watercolour and pastel sure they loved your gift ...

    ReplyDelete